My Favorite Halloween Costume

Friday, October 28, 2011 Posted by Paul Mann
I wanted to share one of my favorite stories from my youth of Halloween.

I unfortunately couldn't find a childhood photo
 but figured this was a great replacement.  
Even as a child, I loved pets. Every book I read, or game I played involved animals. So it’s no surprise that I wanted to dress as one every Halloween. When I was six, I was obsessed with Winnie the Pooh. It wasn’t so much Pooh that grabbed my attention, but Eeyor that I was gaga for. I begged my mother to make me an Eeyor costume.

That’s not so easy to do.

My Mom is certainly talented and was able to sew an Eeyor body, but we really had to work on the head. Mom, being like most Mom’s, was extremely resourceful. She made an Eeyor head out of paper mache.  It was perfect! I couldn’t wait to go dressed as my favorite animal. Well, Halloween rolled around and off I went trick or treating. It was time to get to the first house, and I popped on that Eeyor head with pride. As this was the first time I was allowed to wear it (Mom didn’t want me messing it up before the big day scaring our Golden Retriever), I was over the moon.

And then I put it on.

All 783 pounds of it. Being a smaller six year old, I needed the assistance of a friend to hold up my head and get to the door. It wasn’t merely the weight that was impeding my progress – Mom forgot to put eye holes in it.

I was a blind, head heavy Eeyor. And I loved it! I was finally Eeyor – weight and sight issues aside. I should have known then what I know now – I was always going to be involved with animals.

What’s your favorite Halloween story – and did it involve paper mache? Haha


For the Pets,

Paul Mann, Founder and CEO

Fetch! Pet Care

Post a Comment